FAQ on Crossing USA-Canada Border


Q. What identification do I need to cross the border?
Travel by Air: Beginning January 23, 2007, All persons, including U.S. Citizens, travelling by air between the United States and Canada (including in transit passengers who are transferring planes in the U.S.) will be required to present a valid passport or Air NEXUS card or return to the U.S.

Travel by Land and Sea: Visitors can continue to use such documents as their birth certificates and drivers’ licences to cross the Canada-U.S. border by land and sea (including ferries) for at least another year.

American visitors may be asked to verify their citizenship with such documents as a passport or a birth certificate. Naturalised U.S. citizens should carry a naturalisation certificate. Permanent U.S. residents who are not citizens are advised to bring their Alien Registration Receipt Card (Green Card).

Travellers under the age of 18 and unaccompanied by a parent need a letter of permission to travel in Canada from a parent or guardian. If you are travelling with children, you should carry identification for each child. Divorced parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of the legal custody documents.

For more information visit the US Department of State at www.travel.state.gov or the Canadian Border Services Agency(www.cbsa.gc.ca).

Q. I have a minor criminal offence on my record. What should I be concerned about? (For you or one of your traveling companions)
There are steps that MUST be taken a minimum of 6 weeks prior to your travel date. THIS INCLUDES ANY PAST CONVICTION FOR DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED. You will not be permitted access to Canada unless these steps have been fully complied with. For info on minor criminal offences such as driving under the influence refer to www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/faq-inadmissibility.asp

From 1 to 5 years old. Read carefully.
From 5 to 10 years old. You may be eligible to apply for Criminal Rehabilitation.
After 10 years you may be eligible with one less serious criminal conviction.
If you have one Criminal Conviction or more you may be eligible to apply for rehabilitation.
Contact Lucy Perillo, (800) 438-7020, http://BORDERCROSSING.CA for estimate on processing your paperwork.

Q. How much liquor can I bring into Canada?
You are allowed to bring in 24-12 oz. cans or bottles of beer or 40 oz liquor or 1.5 litres of wine free of duties and taxes. You must be 19 years of age to import alcohol into Ontario. Any amount in excess of 45 liters will not be allowed entry.

Q. How much tobacco can I bring into Canada?
1 carton of Cigarettes and 50 cigars and 1 – 200g can of tobacco and 200 tobacco sticks. Duties and taxes are collected on any excess amounts. You must be 19 years of age to import tobacco products into Ontario.

Q. What is prohibited to bring into Canada?
List as follows,
*Radar Detector.
*Live minnows, leeches, or worms (night crawlers) unless not packed in dirt.
*Dog Food.
*Fire Wood.
*Military style attack rifles.
*Large Capacity Cartridge Magazines (Exceeding 5 rounds for centre fire rifles)

Q. What food am I allowed to bring into Canada?
Visitors to Canada may bring certain goods as “personal baggage”, duty and tax free, provided all such items are declared to Customs upon arrival, and are not subject to restriction.
*A reasonable amount of personal items, supply of food (for personal use) and a full tank of gas.
*Gifts not exceeding $60 Cdn for a friend/relative in Canada. This does not include tobacco products, alcohol or advertising material. Gifts valued at more that $60 Cdn are subject to duty or applicable taxes on the amount the gift exceeds the $60 value.
*Live earthworms are permitted, but only when packed in artificial bedding (no earth or soil). Frozen or salted minnows are allowed.

Q. Can I bring a pet?
Dogs & cats enter Canada must have a valid rabies vaccination certificate, signed and dated by a veterinarian issued within the preceding 36 months. The certificate must provide a sufficient description and detail in order to identify the pet.

Q. What about insurance?
You must obtain a yellow card from your insurance company. You must be able to provide proof of insurance and ownership upon request.

Q. What do I need to bring my firearms into Canada?
ALL fully automatic weapons, handguns and pepper spray are prohibited in Canada.
You must obtain a gun permit for your guns. Refer to www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca. You may bring a hunting rifle or shotgun into Ontario for hunting or Competition purposes in you are 18 years of age or older. Firearms must be Registered for a fee of $25. This permit is valid for a period of 60 days. You can also bring up to 200 rounds of ammunition for hunting or 1,500 rounds for use at a recognized shooting competition. Any amounts of ammunition in excess must be tax paid.
For more information contact 1-800-731-4000 or (705) 329-7662 or visit the Canadian
Firearms Centre at www.cfc-caf.gc.ca

For information on traveling to Canada please visit: www.travelcanada.ca or call 1-800-O-CANADA (1-800-622-6232).