Firearms Info

Bringing a Firearm into Canada

You may bring a hunting rifle or shotgun and up to 200 rounds of ammunition into Ontario as a visitor, but you must be 18 years of age or older to do so and the firearms must be for hunting or competitions use.

* You must be at least 18 years of age to bring firearms into Canada.

* You must either have a Canadian Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) or you have to register your firearms at the Canadian border. You are able to obtain and complete a Non-Resident Firearms Declaration form before you cross the border which will make it easier and less time consuming. The permit fee is $25.00 (CDN) per person for a temporary registration permit and the permit is valid for 60 days. Call toll-free 1-800-731-4000 to get a Firearms Declaration Form.
* Easiest way to obtain a Canadian PAL (possession and Acquisition License) prior to importing guns into Canada. If you have a PAL, you do not have to fill out registration forms and there is only a one time fee.
* You cannot import prohibited firearms. Fully automatic weapons, all hand guns and guns of less than 66 cm (26 inches) in length are prohibited by law.
* Restricted firearms such as pistols or revolvers may be temporarily imported if you have an Authorization to Transport (ATT) in advance from a Canadian Chief Firearms Officer.
* Seasonal residents may import restricted firearms, but must have a Possession and Acquisition License or a valid Firearms Acquisition Certificate in addition to an ATT.
For more info on importing firearms into Canada:
Canadian Firearms Centre, 284 Wellington Centre. Ottawa, ON K1A 0H8.
Ph: 1-800-731-4000. or